Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Can this relationship last?

Dear Metro,

We need to talk. Our relationship is in serious trouble, and I fear we may never make it back to those happy, carefree days of our first year together, filled with joy rides to IHOP and the mall.

I've been one of your staunchest supporters for six years, Metro. I've defended your broken escalators, your random breakdowns, your rush hour delays. I've explained your mysteries to countless tourists and respected the whims of your temperamental doors. I've vowed to anyone who will listen that a life with you is a life that doesn't need a permanent car on the side, because you make sure I get everywhere I need to go.

I've demonstrated my commitment to you in hundreds of ways, from buying a SmarTrip after a year to prove I was serious about you to visiting you twice a day, five days a week, virtually without fail in the last two years. I rarely complain about the lack of a seat in the morning and I never use the countless other people in your life against you. Even though they sometimes drive me crazy, I know there's enough of you to go around.

This year, though, you've been treating me shabbily and I don't know how much more I can take. Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere. You and Washington's cost of living have plotted together to ensure that I can't. And the environmentalist in me doesn't want to buy a car unless there's absolutely no other option.

But you've been wreaking havoc with my schedule all summer. You've made me late to work with trains ten minutes apart during rush hour rather than the usual five (max!). You imposed your own schedule on my happy hour plans every Sunday through Thursday in August, demanding that I either get on a train by 10pm or fight my way through a delayed system to the yellow line, taking more than an hour to get home.

The first glimpse of trouble was way back in February, when you shut down every blue and yellow line station in Virginia from Friday night until Tuesday morning during President's Day weekend, despite my pleas to let me visit my friends on Valentine's Day. And now you're doing it again. I was looking forward to a relaxing Labor Day weekend with friends, maybe some shopping in Georgetown, a quick jaunt to Dupont Circle...until yesterday, when you told me you were closing three stations for the weekend, including mine. You're even closing the National Airport station. During one of the busiest tourist weekends of the year. Metro, this is serious! What is going on?

I know you're older than I am and don't have the energy you used to. I know sometimes you feel like you need a break and some time to yourself, but I depend on you, Metro, and there's no one who can take your place in my life.

Something's gotta give, Metro. Please, help me save our relationship - I don't want us to end up hating one another. I'll try harder if you will.

With love,
Jessalyn
xoxo

4 comments:

Don Parker said...

Metro and I broke up last year. And I don't miss her at all. I once thought she would always be there for me, but in the past couple of years I could tell she didn't care about me anymore. She was going through the motions ... without really trying. I had kept my VW Beetle (42-48 mpg) as a weekend fling, but now we're going steady again. And she's perkier than ever.

Jessalyn Pinneo said...

Don, I was so hoping you would comment on this one! I'm glad you and your VW are happy together... Does she have a brother?

BullMooser said...

I used to be in love with Metro, but now, after a chaotic and painful summer, coupled with a increasingly bumpy periods throughout the year, has me questioning whether I deserve this. Metro is lusting about after the car-loving suburbanites of Fairfax and Loudon Counties instead of maintaining and improving the relationship she has had with me, her loyal urban servant. I understand the attractiveness of the chase, so I forgive her - for now. Either way they'll never love her unconditionally like I do.

Laurel said...

Like you, I've had a love affair with Metro, telling all my friends about how much I loved her and how jealous they should be. We had some glorious moments, where a train would pull into a station just as I arrived and whisk me and my book off to my destination.

It's hard for me to keep loving her, but every now and then I actually drive into DC and I remember all the happiness and the good times and wonder why I ever thought of leaving her.

I can't say it's as good as the old days, she has got to step up her act before I'll really love her again.

On the one hand, she let me have a good seat this morning. On the other, I was late for work. :-/ I'm going to try to make this relationship work, but, like you, I need her to do her part.