Saturday, November 29, 2008

Black Friday: steal or scam?

Since Monday, I've received 60 emails (yes, I really counted!) about sales, deals and coupons for this weekend - many of them from the same merchants two or three days in a row.

Maybe it has something to do with being on a budget imposed by a non-profit salary, but Black Friday drives me crazy. The idea that we're supposed to rush out at ridiculously early hours the day after a national holiday and spend the day buying everything in sight, spending large amounts of money because everything is on sale just strikes me as slightly ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, I like a bargain as much as anyone - I'm fiercely determined to find the best possible prices for plane tickets, and spent two months last winter looking for the perfect coat at the perfect price. I just don't like the idea that retailers will slash their prices (not to the extent that they're not still making a profit, of course) for one day in hopes of coaxing people to spend more than they can afford simply because things are on sale - then go back to charging full price the following day after having made a killing. It seems to me that's taking capitalism a bit far, and not particularly fair to the consumer.

So I didn't go shopping yesterday or today, and have spent some time wishing I were more skilled at knitting or owned a sewing machine.

What are your thoughts on Black Friday? Is it a steal, or a scam?

No comments: