Friday, November 21, 2008

A quick overview

To kick off this exchange, I could tell you all about my degree or what I studied or what I do, but that wouldn’t really tell you who I am, so I’ll give you some random clips of myself instead and see if we can’t get started on getting to know each other.
  1. Reading is one of my greatest pleasures. If I’m not in the middle of three different books at any given time, there must be something wrong. (And right at the moment, it’s George Eliot’s Middlemarch, Salman Rushdie’s Midnight's Children and The Audacity of Hope by President-elect Obama.)
  2. I’ve been writing in some form or another since I was five years old.
  3. I’m a stickler for details, and get really annoyed when I miss one. Which usually happens when I’m in a rush. Which is a lot of the time.
  4. I speak French, and teach it as a volunteer for the Global Language Network.
  5. Music is another of my greatest pleasures, and one of my escapes – I’ve been singing since I could talk, playing piano since I was seven, playing clarinet since I was nine and frustrating myself with the guitar since I was 14.
  6. I love to travel. Meeting new people and finding the cultural similarities and differences that link us fascinates me. I’ll talk endlessly about them, so if I mention going somewhere new, be prepared!
  7. I could happily subsist on cheese, milk, bread, chocolate (preferably dark) and red wine (preferably Côtes-du-Rhône or cabernet sauvignon).
  8. I ran my first marathon four weeks ago.
  9. I’m not a vegetarian, but I’m extremely squeamish about uncooked poultry, so I get most of my protein from dairy products and “veggie meat” unless someone else is cooking or I’m having a particularly brave moment.
  10. I tend to over-think everything, which means I tend to be long-winded. I’ll try to control the long-windedness if you’ll try to forgive me my lapses.
That’s me. What about you?

No comments: