Thursday, November 27, 2008

Giving thanks

After spending the first half of the week being blasted in the blogosphere on a professional level, I was more than ready to give thanks for a long weekend!

I think of Thanksgiving as the ultimate celebration of the idea that "it's the little things." We give thanks for friends and family whose support we may forget to acknowledge the rest of the year. We take pleasure in spending time together: tearing bread for stuffing while Mom peels potatoes, watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, pulling out the china and good silver, reading a story or playing a game with Dad. We take the time to reflect, which can be difficult to find time to do. And hopefully, that reflection shows us just how much we have that we're thankful for.

Above all else, I'm thankful for my family and friends. I know it's cliché, and that I often lose sight of the importance of those relationships in the everyday rush, but there's nothing that matters more in my life than the people I love. Here are just a few of the many moments and memories with them I'm thankful for:

  1. A slobbery kiss from a big, sweet oaf of a Chocolate Lab.
  2. Saturday in Eugene, OR - Saturday Market, a hodge-podge of treasures in an old barn, trying on bridesmaid's dresses - with my best friend and our high school French teacher, who continues to be a source of inspiration and support for us both.
  3. Running into friends on the Metro - at the end of the summer, on Election Day, after work - and taking a few minutes to put away the iPods and catch up.
  4. Pinkberry and a random drive through the South Bay on a weekend night in June.
  5. A picnic and a game of monkey-in-the-middle with my parents, my brother, my sister(-in-law, technically, but close enough!) and my niece.
  6. Making a necklace with my dad.
  7. Running with my mom - in Arizona, in California and in Washington, DC.
  8. Brunch, happy hour or girls' night out - dancing, having fun and commiserating about work, guys and life.
  9. A post-Cheesecake Factory kiss, waiting for the Metro.
  10. The weekend my family spent together in New York this fall, mourning my grandmother's passing and celebrating her life.

What are you giving thanks for?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. Ditto your #2!
2. Pancakes who are so stupid that they stand out in the rain getting soaked when there is a shelter a few feet away.
3. Fiances who can cook one hell of a Thanksgiving dinner, but don't know to cover things when you put them in the fridge or they'll dry out. RIP pumpkin pie.
4. Mayberries who stand by the door and cry whenever I leave the apartment (according to my roommates).
5. Electric blankets.

That's just a short list. Only one more month until we're playing in the snow in Arizona!

Jessalyn Pinneo said...

Way to go, Andrew! (Minus killing the pumpking pie - oops...) How's Mayberry doing?

I can't wait, I'm so excited! Although my mom is really concerned that you'll be bored. I told her not to underestimate our ability to amuse ourselves for long periods of time with stupid things. ;) And I was thinking of looking up a yarn store in Phoenix to stop at on our way up, maybe?